On Saturday our Rileybear had his second birthday. Now let me set the record straight, Riley is not technically my dog. He’s my boyfriend’s dog. But I love him like my dog, and I watch him at my house any time the cop works a 12 hour shift.. Or even a 10 hour shift. And I quite frankly adore him. So when I learned that Riley was turning two I knew I wanted to surprise him with something special. You know, even though he’s a dog and can’t really feel surprised.
Enter the pupcake! I’d seen recipes online for pupcakes before though I’d never made them myself, and I figured how hard could it be? After doing a little research it seemed as though the most popular recipes for pupcakes were made out of either peanut butter, pumpkin, sweet potatoes or apples. The cop is a little particular about what he feeds his baby, and he has accused me pretty much since the day we started dating of fattening Riley up. So I give him as scrap from the table every once in a while… Sue me! I can’t resist his puppy dog eyes.
I wanted a recipe that was semi healthy and would be easy on his tummy. Riley already gets peanut butter and carrot sticks occasionally so I figured a recipe with both would be perfect. The recipe below is adapted from Food + Words. I cut the recipe in half (6 pupcakes for 1 dog are more than enough) and I also changed up the frosting in the recipe. This recipe called for frosting out of cream cheese, but instead I swapped out a basic 1:1 ratio of peanut butter and plain yogurt. Yogurt is a food that is recommended for dogs and like I said I wanted to keep this recipe as simple as possible on Riley’s stomach. I also found that my cupcakes were perfectly baked in 20 minutes (the recipe calls for 35-40 minutes). Not sure how I made that happen but I’d advise you to check your pupcakes after about 20-25 minutes in the oven.
Adapted from: Food+Words
Yield: 6 pupcakes Prep Time: 10 minutes Bake Time: 20-25 minutes
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter (try finding no sugar no salt added peanut butter)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 heaping cup shredded carrots
- 4 Tbsp peanut butter
- 4 Tbsp plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a muffin tin with paper cupcake liners, spray each with nonstick cooking spray and set too the side.
- Shred about a cup of carrots in food processor (or in my case, magic bullet). Set aside.
- In your stand mixer, combine peanut butter, vegetable oil, vanilla, honey and eggs. Mix on medium speed until combined and smooth.
- Slowly add in flour and baking soda, mix on low until combined.
- Fold in shredded carrots. Your mixture will be very wet and sticky.
- Spoon mixture evenly into 6 lined muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the pupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on a wire baking rack.
- To make frosting, mix together peanut butter and plain yogurt in about a 1 to 1 ratio until you reach the desired consistency.
- Once pupcakes have cooled pipe ‘frosting’ onto each. Garnish each with a dog treat!