I know that today everyone is rushing around getting ready for their New Year’s Eve celebrations! Do you plan to stay in and have a quiet night at home? Or maybe a party with close friends is more your style. Perhaps you are getting all glammed up in your sequined finest and hitting the town. No matter what your plans, this festive cocktail recipe will start your night out right. Just in time for your New Year’s Eve celebrations, I wanted to share a cocktail recipe we made during our holiday in California last week: Cranberry Ginger Beer Cocktails! This bright & festive gin drink is fantastic for parties and can be mixed and matched according to your tastes. Special thanks to my future brother-in-law Colin for the photos!
Cranberry Ginger Beer Cocktails
- 2 cups gin
- 1 cup cranberry juice (low sugar)
- 2 cups ginger beer (I used Goslings but any will do)
- 1/2 cup cranberry simple syrup
- 1/4 cup fresh cranberries, muddled
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 4-5 mint sprigs, for garnish
1. To make Cranberry Simple Syrup: Bring 1 cup cranberries, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Reduce to a simmer and stir the mixture until all sugar is dissolved, about 4-5 minutes. Allow to cool, then strain mixture and discard cranberries. Set aside 1/2 cup of syrup for this recipe, reserve any extra for other use.
2. Muddle 1/4 cup fresh cranberries and chilled simple syrup in a large glass pitcher using a muddler or wooden spoon. Add lemon juice and juiced wedges to the pitcher. Pour in gin, cranberry juice and ginger beer. Add mint leaves and stir.
3. Put ice in low-ball glasses and fill glasses with mixture. Optional: Top off glasses with a dash of club soda. Garnish with two fresh cranberries and a sprig of mint.
Alternative Recipe: Mix this recipe up by flavoring with mint instead of rosemary. For make rosemary simple syrup instead of cranberry (simply boil a few sprigs of rosemary in your sugar and water instead of cranberries) and garnish with a sprig of rosemary and cranberries. Lighten this recipe up by using diet ginger beer and diet club soda as your mixers.