We’re back! The long journey north has finally ended and the cop and I have settled in back home here in Savannah, GA. I can’t tell you enough how wonderful it was to spend time with friends and family alike. The time we were there absolutely flew by (as vacations typically do) and I can honestly say I would have been happy having another week to spend.
Alas, back to reality. I flew home to Georgia at the end of the week. But Riley and the cop just arrived late in the day yesterday after having driven 16 hours. I knew that my boys would be tired and hungry, so I wanted to make something easy and comforting for them when they arrived. This meal has become one of our go – to staples. I love that it makes enough for lunch the next day. Instead of frying these in oil in a pan I simply spray the pan down with Pam or Olive Oil spray. It is still enough to make your tenders crispy on the outside but cuts down on unwanted fat and calories. I hope you enjoy this lightened up version of coconut encrusted chicken tenders!
Lightened Up Coconut Encrusted Chicken Tenders
Yield: about 18 chicken strips (6 per chicken breast) Prep Time: 15 minutes Bake Time: 25 minutes
- 3 Chicken breasts, trimmed and sliced into strips
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded, sweetened coconut (could also use unsweetened)
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 Tbsp black pepper
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Trim and prepare your chicken breasts into even strips.
2. Line up 3 shallow bowls with flour in one, eggs in another and panko bread crumb/coconut mixture in the third. Lightly whisk eggs. Add cayenne pepper, dried parsley and black pepper to panko/coconut mixture.
3. Heat a skillet over medium heat, spray with cooking spray. Take chicken strips one by one and first dredge in flour, tapping off excess, then dip into egg, then roll in panko/coconut mixture.
4. Add chicken strips to hot pan and sear, about 3-4 minutes on each side.
5. Move chicken strips to a foil lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 10-12 minutes or until cooked through.
To make honey mustard dipping sauce, combine ingredients in bowl and mix thoroughly. Serve chilled with chicken tenders.